Welcome to JASNA
SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS REGION
Any member of JASNA living in the region
is automatically a member of the region.
We do not have dues.
Occasionally we ask for a donation from the members to cover expenses such as honorarium, maintaining the website, others.
* * * * *
From the Membership Chairman of JASNA
“Starting with June 1st any new member belongs to
the membership year of 2013-14. I know this is a bit confusing, since most
of you have been told that a membership year goes from September to August
(and it is true!!). What actually happens is that the months of June, July
and August are like bridge months. The members already in good standing
will have the benefits of their current membership active till August 31
[i.e., should they not renew, they would still receive the Summer JASNA
News] and members that join (or renew) in those three months become now
members of the following membership year. This “bridge” was put in place
because new members that joined in June, July and August were confused
(and often resentful) to be asked to join again in September.
* * * * *
The Jane Austen Society of North America is dedicated to the enjoyment and appreciation of Jane Austen and her writing. JASNA is a nonprofit organization staffed by volunteers, with over 4,500 members and more than 70 regional groups in the United States and Canada. Its members, who are of all ages and from diverse walks of life, share an enjoyment of Austen’s fiction and the company of like-minded readers.
Students, teachers, members, and visitors are invited to use the resources of this site to learn more about Jane Austen. The Publications section offers dozens of articles and book reviews on her writing, life, and times, all of which can be searched online.
JASNA members receive
- A subscription to the society’s newsletter, JASNA News, published three times a year, which carries book reviews, news from JASNA regions, and feature articles;
- Persuasions, JASNA’s annual journal, a preeminent source for Austen studies, with essays from the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and scholarly articles;
- An invitation to attend the AGM, a three-day conference with an Austen theme held each autumn in a different North American city, featuring speakers, entertainment, tours, banquet, and Regency ball;
- The opportunity to join one of the more than 70 JASNA regional groups in the United States and Canada, which host lectures, book discussions, teas, and a celebration of Austen’s birthday, December 16;
- Participation in members-only tours to England, organized and led by professionals with special access to Austen sites.
To join JASNA, renew your membership, or give a gift membership, you can either:
- print and mail the Membership Form (CLICK HERE to open the pdf) with your check or money order or
- submit membership information and payment using PayPal (available for U.S. and International memberships only; not available for Canadian memberships). If you don’t already have a PayPal account, you will be able to open one after you click on the PayPal link and complete the JASNA membership form. PayPal transactions are processed in U.S. dollars.
As indicated on the Membership Form, contributions may be made to JASNA and JASNA-sponsored projects in England.
Membership categories and dues schedule (please note the applicable currency for each geographic area):
|Type of membership||U.S.A.||Canada||International*|
|Student annual (full-time)||US$18||Cdn$18||US$30|
|Convert to Family life****||US$150||Cdn$200||US$175|
* International dues apply to members whose address is not in the USA or Canada.
** Family membership: 2 persons at the same address, each of whom is a member; the household receives one subscription to JASNA News and Persuasions.
*** Sustaining membership: same benefits as Individual membership; the extra dues are a contribution to JASNA, for which a tax receipt will be provided.
**** A Life Member may convert to Family Life by adding another person at the same address.
USA and International dues are payable in US dollars; Canadian dues are payable in Canadian dollars.
The membership year begins September 1 and ends August 31. Members who join before June 1 will receive the current year’s edition of Persuasions as well as any back issues of JASNA News that might have been missed, as long as supplies last. Members who join between June 1 and August 31 will receive the summer issue of JASNA News but will otherwise be enrolled for the following full membership year that starts September 1.
JASNA’s Membership Secretaries are volunteers. A New Member Welcome Packet is usually mailed four to six weeks after receipt of the membership form and dues. For further questions on membership, please call 1-800-836-3911 or e-mail the US/International Membership Secretary, Carole Stokes, firstname.lastname@example.org or the Canadian Membership Secretary, Nancy Stokes, email@example.com
“It’s a very select Society, an’ you’ve got to be a Janeite in your ’eart … You take it from me, there’s no one to touch Jane when you’re in a tight place.”
“The Janeites,” by Rudyard Kipling